Music Victoria announces Virgin Australia excess baggage details for travelling musicians 25 Nov 2011
Members of Music Victoria are now able to start taking advantage of a more musician-friendly baggage allowance thanks to an exclusive deal developed between Virgin Australia and national body The Australian Music Industry Network (AMIN).
In September 2011, AMIN and Virgin Australia announced a new initiative aimed at addressing the ongoing problems musicians face when travelling with musical equipment. The initiative has been well received by the music community who often have to deal with high and inconsistent excess baggage charges. The new Virgin Australia baggage allowances will have a major impact on the ability of Australian artists to tour more often and more cost effectively.
Virgin Australia is offering the music industry a baggage allowance of 32kg (across three pieces of checked baggage) for individual artists, with an additional 32kg able to be purchased in advance for just $15. Bands may also be able to ‘pool’ their baggage allowance across their travelling group. This baggage allowance is available on Virgin Australia-owned and operated domestic services only and must be booked or pre-purchased at least 48 hours prior to departure.
Details have now been finalised and information on how to access this initiative have been announced. Musicians and companies can access the new baggage allowance either via specialist entertainment travel companies or by contacting a dedicated Virgin Australia music liaison with your itinerary.
The deal is available immediately to financial members of Music Victoria. To join Music Victoria as a member, apply online at www.musicvictoria.com.au/become-a-member-of-music-victoria
Music Victoria is also offering members the chance to win a Virgin Frequent Flyer Platinum Velocity membership for a year. All current members as well as new members who sign up and pay by 31st December 2011 will be eligible to win.
Music Industry Baggage Allowance
- a baggage allowance for individual artists of 32kg (across three pieces of checked baggage)
- the ability to purchase an additional 32kg in advance for just $15
- the option for bands to ‘pool’ their baggage allowance across their travelling group
- Access to Group check in facilities
- Ongoing direct support through the Music Industry Liaison officer position
- Baggage must be booked or pre-purchased at least 48 hours prior to departure as per the booking process outlined below
- This baggage allowance is available on Virgin Australia-owned and operated domestic services only
- This offer applies to all new bookings and cannot be provided in retrospect, and Virgin Australia will not refund normal baggage charges already paid
For all bookings of less than 10 guests, please use one of the following booking methods:
1. Artists/companies that use specialist travel companies like Moves, Show Travel, Stage and Screen etc are able to access the new deal. When you book through any of those companies it is important that you nominate Music Victoria as your affiliate member organisation and quote your Music Victoria membership number so Virgin can track your booking.
Virgin Australia encourages eligible members to book flights via their current travel provider or travel agent. For members who do not have a regular travel provider, we encourage you to book with one of the following music industry specialist travel agencies:
Show Group – www.showgroup.com.au
Phone: Melbourne: 03 9468 2100
Moves Travel Group – www.movestravel.com.au
Luke Sawyer – Business Development Manager
Phone 0430 362 037 or 02 9217 8999
Stage and Screen – www.stageandscreen.travel
Tiz Galipo - National Sales Manager
Phone: 1300 737 383
Travel Beyond – www.travelbeyond.com.au
Dave Price – Sales and Marketing Manager
Phone: 1300 Beyond (1300 239 663) or 0413 849 720
2. In the event that booking through one of these agencies is not an option, artists/companies can make their bookings via the Virgin Australia website www.virginaustralia.com
Once your booking is completed please email firstname.lastname@example.org and advise your itinerary reference, the number of bags and weight you will be carrying, your Music Victoria membership number, and your contact details.
If you require further assistance, please contact Virgin Australia Business Events and Groups on 136700, between 7.30am and 3.00pm Monday to Friday.
To be eligible for this special offer, musicians must be financial or bona fide members of one of the following
Australian Music Industry bodies:
· AMIN’s member organisations: Music Victoria , Queensland Music Network (Q Music); Contemporary Music Services
Tasmania; Music NSW; Music NT; and The Western Australian Music Industry (WAM)
· Association of Artist Managers
· Australian Independent Record Labels Association
· The Australasian Performing Right Association
· The Australasian Mechanical Copyright Owners Society
· Live Performance Australia
· Musicians Union of Australia
· Country Music Association of Australia
· Folk Alliance
Please Note: Any booking of 10 or more guests should be done through Virgin’s normal Business Events and Groups bookings process, and will not be subject to the guidelines above but rather will be subject to our Entertainment Terms and Conditions to which reference must be made. Group bookings should be directed through your current travel provider, travel agent, one of the suggested specialist agencies list above or direct with Virgin Australia.
Virgin Australia cannot guarantee that checked baggage or excess baggage will be uplifted as this is subject to aircraft loads. Please refer to the Virgin Australia Baggage Policy - www.virginaustralia.com/baggage
, Live Music
, AMIN network