Venue Resources


Music Victoria is extremely concerned about the impact Covid-19 and the restriction and subsequent banning of non-essential public gatherings is having on live music venues.

We will regularly consult with – and update – venues on key concerns and developments, and raise issues with relevant businesses and authorities.

Below is a current update as of 8 November:

  • Live seated outdoor shows can take place in hospitality venues such as pubs, bars and restaurants in metro Melbourne (50) and regional Victoria (70). Band members must be included in the venue cap.
  • Venues don’t have to serve food with the live music
  • If you have an existing liquor license and are planning on hosting outdoor events, you need to apply through your council first, and then apply for a Temporary Limited Licence through the VCGLR
  • Musicians need to stand 2 metres apart on stage
  • Performers need to be 5 metres from the audience
  • Band members (except singers and woodwind and brass instrumentalists) must wear a face mask while they perform
  • Nightclubs can open for seated service of food or beverages only
  • You can live-stream from a venue but only essential people can be on site – ie band members, filming crew and a venue representative with the keys to the building
  • You can rehearse and record at studios, but must adhere to 1 per 4 square metre distancing requirements (so smaller bands in the smaller rooms) – ensure you have a COVIDSafe plan
  • Set building can take place, but you need to comply with construction guidelines
  • You can attend an outdoor music lesson, class or practice with up to ten people

Keep an eye out on Music Victoria and Creative Victoria websites for further updates as they come to hand.
Additional official guidance can be found here and here.

If you own or manage an entertainment, arts or tourism business, you can find advice and more information on current restrictions by visiting Arts and recreation services sector guidance. There are a number of restrictions that apply to these businesses including limits on the number of customers, cleaning, signage and record keeping.

If you are planning on hosting outdoor events, it would be worth checking with your council first that there are no local laws you need to comply with. If you have an existing indoor liquor license you will need to obtain a letter from your council to apply for a Temporary Limited Licence from the VCGLR.

Further information is on the VCGLR’s covid-19 page.

Below is a current update as of 1 April:

  • OneMusic will suspend accounts for venues that are required to cease trade as a result of the Covid-19 indoor and outdoor attendance limitation. Accounts will be adjusted once trade recommences.
  • Music Victoria will consult with the State Government about how the music industry’s needs can be addressed by the Business Support Fund.

The national industry is lobbying the federal government for a targeted support package. See details here:

  1. Live Performance Australia Media Release – Governments Must Act to Prevent Final Curtain for Live Performance Industry – 20 March 2020 
  2. COVID-19: Live Performance Industry Package
Explanation of the Jobkeeper Payment Stimulus Package

If you’re wanting to understand what benefits may be available to you within the Government Stimulus package, you can read a breakdown of it here. Other simple and easy-to-understand summaries can be found here and here.

A fact sheet from Government explaining the Jobkeeper Payment Stimulus Package can be accessed here:

Get Online

For those who are able to continue with aspects of your business online, here are some things you can do to raise funds from patrons whilst lockdown is in place.

  • Create and sell digital vouchers (Shout Your Local is custom-designed for venues trying to increase cashflow amidst COVID-19)
  • Run a crowdfunding campaign to raise funds for staff
  • Sell branded merch – think outside the box
  • Offer take-away or delivery meals. If offering delivery, consider keeping your staff on as delivery drivers, rather than using a service like ubereats.
  • Offer take-away alcohol (if your license allows it)
  • Investigate live streaming performances
Get Informed
Get Connected
  • Enter your losses into I Lost My Gig –  We need to quantify this
  • Sign this petition calling for support to help safe live venues
  • Encourage your staff to join Job share groups on facebook to fill the gaps
  • Free membership to the Victorian Chamber of Commerce – The Chamber is an independent voice for Victorian business and supports businesses towards growth and prosperity. Due to the impact of COVID-19 – for the first time ever, the Chamber will waive membership fees for one year for all Victorian businesses (up to $700 value). Existing members will receive an additional $500 credit.
  • Is your Music Victoria Membership up to date? Renew here