Whilst one round of the 2021 Music Victoria Awards submissions has just closed, a new award category has just opened for submissions… the inaugural Arts Access Victoria Amplify Award!
Established to shine a light on and recognise the contributions made by Deaf and Disabled musicians in the past 12 months, this award is long overdue and rewards the winner with $3000 cash from Arts Access Victoria and a rehearsal package from Bakehouse Studios.
“The Amplify Award has emerged out of recent engagement between the disabled music community and Music Victoria and responds directly to an identified need. We are delighted to back Music Victoria’s leadership in this space, and to come on board as a financial sponsor. We can’t wait to be bowled over with submissions.”
– Caroline Bowditch, CEO, Arts Access Victoria
The award will be assessed by a peer panel of judges, who will each be paid an honorarium for their role in the process. Applications are open now and close 11:59pm on Friday 20th August 2021. Shortlisted nominees will be published on Friday 3rd September, with the winner announced at the 2021 Music Victoria Awards at the Melbourne Recital Centre.
“I simply don’t have the knowledge of who is active out there, and this is something that I am desperately wanting to change. I look forward to not just finding and rewarding a winner but seeing who this process uncovers and encourages. The Amplify Award by no way excludes Deaf and Disabled musicians from applying in all our other Award categories, but it does recognise the significant and very real barriers that they face in our industry.”
– Simone Schinkel, CEO, Music Victoria
- You must consider yourself a musician.
- Solo musicians must identify as a Deaf and/or Disabled person. Groups/bands must be Deaf and/or disability-led (with creative control).
- You must have been active in the past 12 months (1 July 2020 to 30 June 2021) – this can include rehearsing, performing (live or online), writing, collaborating and/or releasing music.
- Solo musicians must reside in Victoria (residency of backing band is not considered). At least 50% of the group/band must have been living in Victoria for the last two years or use Victoria as a home base.
- You must be a paid Music Victoria Member – Deaf and Disabled musicians can become a paid Essentials member for free with the code “friends” here.
- Current Music Victoria and Arts Access Victoria employees are ineligible for this award.
- Contact details
- Social media handles (optional)
- Submit up to 2 songs as examples of your work. We accept any format including a URL or website link, video, mp3 file or wav file.
- Submit a biography, CV or resume which includes info about you and your music practice. We accept any format including word, pdf or video.
- Submit an image or photo of you or your work. We accept any format including hard copy, JPEG or URL.
Submissions can be made via:
- our members dashboard here
- our awards portal here
- hard copy to: Music Victoria, Unit 1 / 35 Johnston St, Collingwood, 3066 (fill in this printable form here and post it with a cd)
- or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
SUBMISSIONS CLOSE: 11:59pm FRIDAY 20th AUGUST 2021
If your access requirements haven’t been met whilst applying or you need any support in putting together your application please contact Simone Schinkel, CEO at Music Victoria on 0421 967 349 or email@example.com
We use the term ‘Deaf and Disabled people/musicians’ in line with the Social Model of Disability.