There are a number of steps you can take to assist patrons depart your venue safely and avoid crowds forming on the footpath or road.
- Ensure all bar and door staff are aware of:
- the location and routes of nearby public transport services, including
- all night bus, tram and train services that run on Friday and Saturday nights;
- approximate times these services cease to operate;
- the location of nearby public or private car parking facilities; and
- the contact details for local taxi services and any designated taxi ranks near the venue.
- Encourage groups of people who have driven to your venue to nominate a designated driver for the night. Consider introducing a venue policy of providing designated drivers with free soft drinks or bar snacks.
- Direct bar staff to monitor any patrons who are drinking alcohol and have indicated that they intend to drive home. If there is a risk that they are over the blood alcohol limit, encourage them to use alternative modes of transport to get home and to collect their car in the morning.
- Direct crowd controllers or staff to manage patrons who are waiting for taxis outside your venue to ensure orderly queuing and acceptable behaviour.
- Notify local taxi companies when events are being held at your venue and the time they are expected to finish.
- Have a phone available for patrons to use free of charge to call a taxi, friend or relative to collect them from your venue.
Promote late-night transport options on promotional material including the venue’s website.
Public Transport Victoria
The Public Transport Victoria website contains information about all public transport options in the state, including metro trains, buses and trams, all night services, V/Line trains and coaches, and regional buses. Public Transport Victoria also has a useful smartphone application.
Commercial Passenger Vehicles Victoria
Commercial Passenger Vehicles Victoria (CPVV) regulates the commercial passenger vehicle industry. This industry includes unbooked services (taxi rank and hail) and booked services (taxis, hire cars and rideshare vehicles). Its website contains a range of useful information, including details of booking service providers in Victoria, taxi rank locations, booking a wheelchair accessible vehicle and tips on catching and travelling in a passenger vehicle.