Musicians Additional Baggage Allowance Policy
Qantas is proud to support the Australian Music industry through a dedicated Musicians Additional Baggage Allowance to assist artists when travelling with a musical instrument or touring equipment and allow them to tour more easily and cost effectively.
The offer includes a free baggage allowance of three pieces (at 23kgs per piece) for artists.
This baggage allowance is available on Qantas and QantasLink domestic services (within Australia with a ‘QF’ flight number operated by Qantas) and is not applicable to flights operated by partner airlines.
The offer applies to flights departing on or after 13 April 2015 and must be booked two or more business days prior to departure.
To be eligible for this special offer, the musician must be travelling with a musical instrument or touring equipment and be a current member of one of the following eligible musical associations;
- • Association of Artist Managers
• Australian Independent Record Labels Association
• The Australasian Performing Right Association
• The Australian Mechanical Copyright Owners Society
• Live Performance Australia
• Musicians Union of Australia
• Country Music Association of Australia
• Folk Alliance
• Australian Chamber Orchestra
• Opera Australia
• AMIN’s member organisations: Queensland Music Network, Contemporary Music Services Tasmania, Music NSW, Music NT, Music Victoria and The Western Australian Music Industry Association.
Customers may be asked to show their association membership during check in.
Alternatively requests submitted on behalf of touring acts booked via an Australian promoter (that are members of the eligible musical associations) will be accepted without the need to supply a membership number for each individual musician.
Qantas encourages eligible musicians to book flights via a specialist music industry travel agency.
For bookings of less than 10 customers agents should request the Musicians Additional Baggage Allowance via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The email should include the following details:
- Booking reference;
- Musical association;
- association membership number; and
- Type of musical instrument or equipment.
For Group bookings of 10 or more customers, agents should contact Qantas Group Sales on 132624 and provide:
- Type of Group;
- Booking reference;
- Musical association; and
- Association membership number; and Type of musical instrument or equipment
- The additional baggage allowance is subject to aircraft loads and cannot be guaranteed
- Maximum weight of each piece cannot exceed 32kg
- Heavy charges apply to customers with a maximum weight limit of 23 kg per piece who exceed that limit.
- Passengers travelling on QantasLINK regional flights should be advised that aircraft types operating those routes may have a smaller capacity to uplift equipment.
- Baggage on flights to Lord Howe Island, Olympic Dam and Mount Hotham are subject to specific restrictions on baggage. See qantas.com for details
- Up to two additional pieces of baggage can be pre-purchased online