Music Victoria is extremely concerned about the impact Covid-19 and the restriction and subsequent banning of non-essential public gatherings is having on live music venues.
We will regularly consult with – and update – venues on key concerns and developments, and raise issues with relevant businesses and authorities.
Below is a current update as of 24 March:
- This is the State Government’s current laws on non-essential public gatherings, which at this stage are in place until 13 April: https://www.premier.vic.gov.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/200323-Statement-From-The-Premier-1.pdf
- Music Victoria is hosting weekly Wednesday teleconference meetings with venues. The next one will be held on Wednesday March 24 (10-11am for venue owners; 11.15-12 for venue bookers and other staff). Email James at email@example.com for teleconference details
- Since the last meeting on 18 March, Music Victoria wrote to the Premier and relevant ministers calling for targeted support for venues
- We wrote this article which appeared in the Age newspaper: https://www.theage.com.au/culture/music/our-famed-music-venues-could-disappear-if-we-don-t-act-20200319-p54btx.html
- The Victorian Commission of Gaming and Liquor Regulation has agreed to suspend all liquor licensing fees for 2020. They are also fast tracking variations to liquor licenses. See more information here: https://vcglr.vic.gov.au/news/coronavirus-covid-19-information-licensees
- OneMusic will suspend accounts for venues that are required to cease trade as a result of the Covid-19 indoor and outdoor attendance limitation. Accounts will be adjusted once trade recommences.
- The Federal and State Governments have released support packages. Our colleagues at the VMDO and friends at the Gild Group have analysed these and summarised how they can help music businesses:
- Music Victoria will consult with the State Government about how the music industry’s needs can be addressed by the Business Support Fund.
- Businesses can also register their interest in receiving details of theBusiness Support Fund when information becomes available via Small Business Victoria’s ‘Register your interest ‘ button found at:https://www.business.vic.gov.au/support-for-your-business/grants-and-assistance/economic-survival-and-jobs-package
- Music Victoria will continue to advocate for venues during this time of crisis. In the meantime, you can sign the below petition, set up by a venue owner, calling for support to help safe live venues:
The national industry is lobbying the federal government for a targeted support package. See details here: