DonateJoin NowLog In
music victoria logo

Image credit: Cristian Guanipa

This fact sheet will cover processes that will set you up for success, engaging in contracts that protect you, invoice terms (what to include) and what to do in the event that you are owed money for a performance.


A contract is strongly recommended, and the Live Music Office has some great templates. If an invoice isn't appropriate due to the nature of the show then at a minimum there should be an agreement over email.

In lieu of a contract it is important to have in writing:
Other things that you should consider include:

The terms of an agreement vary depending on the nature of the gig, but some common arrangements are:


Performance deal

Depending on the event you may be paid a number of ways. The three most common include:

The Fair Work Ombudsman has outlined minimum rates in their Live Performance Award 2020

Musicians Australia has also campaigned for a $250 minimum fee based on a ‘3-hour call’ as set out in the Live Performance Award. This requires that musicians are paid between $150-200 for a 3-hour call, and an additional $50-100 in allowances (eg. set up time, meals, supply of instruments, and travel).

While you may be asked to play for free or for in exchange of goods such as clothes or alcohol, it is important to put a value on your time and the labour of your performance, as well as everything leading up to it.

Some venues may also ask for a percentage of your merch takings. It is important to be made aware of this in advance so that you can make appropriate considerations such as increasing the price of your merch. If the venue does take a cut of your merch, ensure that they provide you with facilities including: a merch seller (paid either by yourself or the venue) and a well-lit merch table. You should also enquire regarding EFTPOS facilities and organise a float if you want to take cash.


It is necessary to invoice for your services. A Tax Invoice must contain the following:
Other helpful identifier information:

More information regarding tax and super can be found here:


Breach of agreement - what to do if you don’t get paid

In the event that you don’t receive payment for your performance there are a number of resources available that can assist you with your debt recovery.



Public liability insurance

Though it's not required by law, all small businesses should consider having Public Liability insurance to protect themselves against personal injury caused to a third-party or damage to property. Some festivals and venues may even write this as a requirement of performing with them in their contract.

Recommended insurance providers:


Further resources


If there is anything you would suggest to be added to this document please email

Click here to set up an ABN for your music industry business/practice through the Australian Business Register's website.

Writing for Music Industry Inside Out, music/arts accountant Scott Maughan has put together a comprehensive how-to guide for musicians and music workers trying to navigate their yearly tax return.

Click here to view the guide.

Click here to use the ATO's home office expenses calculators to work out your claim for work-related expenses you incur as a result of work you do from home as an employee.

Click here for's Budget Planner Template.

This budget template enables you to:

White has created the following documents to assist Music Industry Professionals with their Financial Wellbeing:

  1. Budget Planner
  2. Typical Expenses for Artists, Bands and DJs
  3. Example Bookkeeping Summary Sheet